Associates work directly with other members of the Schmidt Futures team to perform research and analysis relevant to:
- Development of new programs or individual gifts, grants, or investments
- Monitoring and evaluation of existing programs and individual gifts, grants, or investments either underway or completed
- Development of Schmidt Futures’ planning efforts for strategy, budget, organizational design, and talent management.
Program and Gift/Grant/Investment Development
- Conduct research and analysis designed to outline potential opportunities for impact, understand relative effectiveness of alternative models, and quantify likely results of programs overall and/or individual gifts, grants, or investments
- Perform landscape analyses to identify potential opportunities for partnership as well as lessons learned from existing efforts in the field
- Lead knowledge management efforts for research and analysis performed – communicating results to team members and codifying results for future use and/or revision.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Working closely with others on the team, perform independent research to help verify outcomes of Schmidt Futures’ programs and/or individual gifts, grants, or investments
- Identify opportunities to improve the work based on an understanding of current trends and/or lessons learned from others’ work
- Recommend approaches to make data collection on outcome easier and better so as to facilitate more productive monitoring and evaluation.
Strategic and Operational Planning Support
- Conduct benchmarking and other analyses (either directly or by review of third-party work) to facilitate more effective planning for Schmidt Futures’ strategy, budget, talent management, and organizational development
- Identify important issues to be resolved through organizational planning processes, and propose alternatives based on research of potential scale and scope on criteria to be defined
- Prepare relevant communications for organizational leadership and/or outside partners.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Some of the desired capabilities include:
- Demonstrated analytical skills, including quantitative modeling
- Project management skills, including capabilities to drive efforts independently, and ensure effective implementation
- Ability to coordinate efforts across multiple stakeholders
- Demonstrated leadership ability and record of impact in high-intensity, team-based environments
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, for both conceptual and analytical problems
- Values-based, collaborative working style with demonstrated commitment to the highest standards of ethics and confidentiality
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with reasonable ability to use common software tools for word processing, presentation, and spreadsheets (especially Google Docs and Sheets).
- Have 3-5 years of work experience in business, government, philanthropy, or the military
- Have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- Be based at the Schmidt Futures offices in New York and be able to travel within the U.S. and internationally on a regular basis as needed.