The Talent Engine portfolio at Schmidt Futures focuses on creating the best, largest, and most persistent pipeline of exceptional talent globally and matching that talent to opportunities to serve others for life. One key element of our approach to building and supporting this network relies on innovative sourcing mechanisms for undiscovered talent and methodical connections between people and partners around the world.
We are seeking a Director, Talent Engine, who will lead the execution of multiple programs within the portfolio. The Director will work closely with the VP, Talent Engine, on strategy development to ensure the successful delivery of our existing talent programs and develop and launch new initiatives related to talent. The ideal candidate will flourish in settings that require both operational excellence and creative design; the Director will act as a core delivery partner for high-priority needs across the entire portfolio.
- Contribute to the overall vision of impact for the Talent Engine, including how to track progress against that vision;
- Lead strategic program design and execution on programs with iterative improvement implementation;
- Support teams in managing existing programs in the Talent Engine;
- Lead special projects and other high-priority programmatic initiatives, as needed;
- Generate new programmatic ideas and build a pipeline of experts and partners to contribute to current and future programs;
- Develop or deploy an evidence-based strategy for evaluating existing and future programs using metrics and industry best practices.
Thought Leadership for Gifts, Grants, and Investment Analysis and Evaluation
- Review gifts, grants, and investments in development to identify opportunities to improve their execution and impact within program areas;
- Analyze the impact of work completed against our organizational and program goals; and
- Deploy expertise to improve both team and grantee performance.
Partner / Network Development
- Recommend potential strategies, methods, partnerships, and other resources that Schmidt Futures or beneficiaries could use to strengthen their work and impact;
- Manage ongoing relationships with partners/network and offer new ways to grow;
- Proactively engage network members in identifiable ways to help them and improve the impact of our work.
- Supervise people with a positive impact in end-to-end professional development.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Some of the desired capabilities include:
- Proven excellence in leadership and management positions;
- Proven ability to convene networks and use an interdisciplinary approach to solve systemic problems;
- Exceptional critical thinking ability and creativity in new idea generation;
- Project management skills, including capabilities to manage complex stakeholders and ensure effective implementation;
- Demonstrated teamwork ability and record of impact in high-intensity, team-based environments;
- Exceptional problem-solving skills for conceptual and analytical problems;
- Values-based, collaborative working style with a demonstrated commitment to the highest standards of ethics and confidentiality; and
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Have 10+ years of work experience in government, nonprofit, or philanthropy;
- Have extensive experience managing others, both direct and indirect management;
- Have expertise in people development and a commitment to mentorship and service; and
- Be based in the Schmidt Futures offices in New York or Washington, DC, with the ability to travel within the U.S. and internationally regularly as needed.
About Schmidt Futures
Schmidt Futures is a philanthropic initiative, founded by Eric and Wendy Schmidt, that finds exceptional people and helps them do more for others together. We knit talent into networks, bet on the most promising ideas through diverse forms of competition and support, and equip people to scale through partners and modern tools. To realize this vision, Schmidt Futures uses a broad set of tools — including gifts, grants, investments, and startup activity — for charitable, educational, and commercial efforts with a public purpose. Our initiative brings together the efforts of various charitable and non-charitable entities to improve our potential impact by making diverse types of capital available to the efforts we support.
Futures Action Network, LLC, which operates Schmidt Futures, is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.