Schmidt Futures bets early on exceptional people working to solve hard problems in science and society.
To achieve this mission, Rise is a program that finds brilliant people who need opportunity and supports them for life as they work to serve others. It operates as an initiative of Schmidt Futures and the Rhodes Trust.
While the program starts at ages 15–17, it offers a lifetime of benefits including scholarships, mentorship, funding for Winners’ ventures and more as they work toward solving humanity’s most pressing problems. The program is designed to encourage a lifetime of service and learning by providing support that could include scholarships, career services, and funding opportunities to help these leaders serve others for decades to come.
Everyone who applies to Rise, from anywhere in the world, gains access to free online courses, a network of peers, and a specially curated offering of opportunities from Rise’s partners around the world.
All Rise finalists receive benefits. In 2021, the 500 Rise finalists selected courses on leadership, youth advocacy, entrepreneurship, networking, critical thinking, and finding purpose from our partner organizations Ivy House, Project Wayfinder, Village Capital, Preparing Global Leaders Forum, Africa Matters Initiative and Latin American Leadership Academy. The specific benefits will vary from year to year as new opportunities become available. In addition, Rise finalists will receive access to resources for career development, and will have the opportunity over time to compete for additional support offered by Schmidt Futures and its partners.
The Fellow will lead global partnerships on behalf of Rise, in conjunction with the Executive Director. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Fellow will be responsible for identifying, cultivating, and managing global partnerships in support of the Rise program in order to drive outreach, program implementation, and the broader mission of Rise. This person will also identify and lead creative efforts to expand the impact of the program through partners, including other funders, foundations, and corporate partners.
Partnership Identification, Outreach, and Management
- Design and lead execution of an expanded Rise partnership strategy focused on ensuring that, through forging partnerships with youth serving organizations, Rise has access to and coverage of young people in every country in the world.
- Supervise team members within the partnership unit and coordinate engagement with other Rise units and across Schmidt Futures.
- Manage all partnership development, engagement, and cultivation
- Create a systematic, process-driven approach to partner outreach and relationship management
- Identify and source partnership opportunities
- Research partners, identify key players and generate interest
- Collaborate with senior management to align our internal goals with new and existing partner relationships
- Manage ongoing relationships with current partners and offer new ways to grow the partnership
- Manage relationships with external partners and vendors to build the brand and the Rise program
- Manage the Rise partnerships team, coordinating the work and development of the team members
- Champion and manage new projects to create stronger partnerships
- Build the organizational network and global presence through targeted outreach
- Liaise with partners to develop innovative projects, competitions, and new ways of supporting the Rise program
- Analyze and report on partner initiatives to develop best practices for Rise
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Some of the desired capabilities include:
- Demonstrated excellence in partnership development, outreach, and management
- Significant international experience with a track record of operating with global partners
- Proven experience creating robust partnership strategies
- Strong knowledge of network development and management
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of how to build relationships across global cultures
- Demonstrated teamwork ability and record of impact in high-intensity, team-based environments
- Values-based, collaborative working style with demonstrated commitment to the highest standards of ethics and confidentiality
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with youth-serving organizations
- Experience designing and scaling innovative global programs
- Background in leadership development
- Experience leveraging technology to catalyze global networks
- Have at least 8+ years of work experience in government, business, philanthropy, academia, or the military
- Have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited institution
- Be based in the Schmidt Futures offices in New York and be able to travel within the U.S. and internationally on a regular basis as needed following company policy and permitting circumstances.
About Schmidt Futures
Schmidt Futures is a philanthropic initiative, founded by Eric and Wendy Schmidt, that finds exceptional people and helps them do more for others together. We knit talent into networks, bet on the most promising ideas through diverse forms of competition and support, and equip people to scale through partners and modern tools. To realize this vision, Schmidt Futures uses a broad set of tools — including gifts, grants, investments, and startup activity — for charitable, educational, and commercial efforts with a public purpose. Our initiative brings together the efforts of various charitable and non-charitable entities to improve our potential impact by making diverse types of capital available to the efforts we support.
Futures Action Network, LLC, which operates Schmidt Futures, is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.