Schmidt Futures Analysts play a critical role in the organization supporting lines of effort, programs, and functions. We seek to provide a shared core for the Analyst experience by developing holistic training/development opportunities and building cohort experiences for our early-career talent as we grow. The program will provide Analysts the opportunity to further develop their skills through substantial rotations, such as 9-12 months, on Schmidt Futures’ programs to tackle hard problems in science and society.
Reporting to the Head of Talent, the Manager, Analyst Cohort will be responsible for developing our Analyst program and managing a cohort of 10 – 15 Analysts per year. The Manager, Analyst Cohort will be responsible for:
- Managing a cohort of Analysts (typically < 3 years of professional experience)
- Building a collective strategy and vision for the program; collaborating with program leads to vet internal projects for Analyst rotations
- Recruiting new Analysts and serving as the hiring manager for the cohort
Managing cohort of Analysts
- Maintain overall responsibility and direct management of the Analyst cohort
- Lead efforts related to onboarding, project management, coaching, and problem-solving
- Organize training sessions to support career development, including an annual training week
Building Program Strategy and vision
- Collaborate with Head of Talent to design the vision for the Analyst program
- Define Analyst program objectives and key results (OKRs) and report progress
- Collaborate with internal program leads to build a growth trajectory plan for Analysts to develop within the organization and in their careers
Recruiting, Training, and coaching for Analysts
- Work with the Schmidt Futures Recruiting team to recruit cohorts of exceptionally talented, diverse, entrepreneurial Analysts
- Provide coaching to Analysts to help them advance their projects and overall development
- Drive Analyst performance evaluation process by collecting and communicating feedback from day-to-day project leaders
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Some of the desired capabilities include:
- Exceptional leadership capabilities with a track record of building and nurturing teams by providing coaching, mentorship, and development to junior team members
- Entrepreneurial leader who is oriented towards action, learning by doing, and iterative approaches
- Creative thinker who comes up with new, better ways to achieve goals
- Strong communicator with the ability to articulate vision and tactics to motivate others
- Excellent judgment and ability to involve others in the decision-making process
- Proven ability to build a culture where groups work as a team to achieve shared objectives
- Ability to blend strong people and project management abilities to set team goals effectively, and coach individuals for continued growth and development
- 7+ years of experience managing teams of direct reports
- Have the highest levels of personal ethics and professional integrity
- Have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited institution
- Be based at the Schmidt Futures offices in New York or Washington, D.C., and be able to travel within the U.S. and internationally on a regular basis as needed following company policy and permitting circumstances.
About Schmidt Futures
Schmidt Futures is a philanthropic initiative, founded by Eric and Wendy Schmidt, that finds exceptional people and helps them do more for others together. We knit talent into networks, bet on the most promising ideas through diverse forms of competition and support, and equip people to scale through partners and modern tools. To realize this vision, Schmidt Futures uses a broad set of tools — including gifts, grants, investments, and startup activity — for charitable, educational, and commercial efforts with a public purpose. Our initiative brings together the efforts of various charitable and non-charitable entities to improve our potential impact by making diverse types of capital available to the efforts we support.
Futures Action Network, LLC, which operates Schmidt Futures, is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.