Reporting to the Managing Director of Communications, the Communications Manager/Associate, will assist with execution of the global communications strategy on behalf of all Schmidt Futures and its programs. This role will work closely with all of Schmidt Futures’ programs to develop and implement effective communication tactics that create brand awareness and raise the global profile of our programs to a diverse set of audiences.
- Manage internal and external communications for various Schmidt Futures programs such as Rise, Schmidt Futures’ flagship program.
- Develop deep knowledge of our programs and how communications can help achieve their goals
Strategy execution and management
- Collaborate with the Managing Director to to help translate Schmidt Futures’ vision and strategy into clear communications for various audiences (including employees, partners, grantees, job candidates, and others)
- Build and maintain relationships with key national and industry-specific outlets, pitching stories where beneficial to Schmidt Futures’ programmatic goals and likely of interest to the targeted publications
- Draft and edit press releases, op-eds, media interview prep guides, speaking notes, and other key materials for Schmidt Futures and our spokespeople.
- Build our communications calendar and ensure that communications proposed by team members, grantees, or partners are properly reviewed and approved for events, publications, announcements, and other public activities
Marketing / other vendor relationships
- Manage relationships with external PR, advertising, research, design, and digital firms
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience creating and overseeing successful integrated media campaigns, particularly across multiple nations and cultures
- Experience leading communications for global brands, including media relations
- Eye for design and detail, with ability to build Mailchimp templates, create social graphics, and edit videos—and/or work with external consultants on these projects from vision to execution
- Demonstrated excellence in communications management
- Strong knowledge of communication practices and techniques
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated teamwork ability and record of impact in high-intensity, team-based environments
- Values-based, collaborative working style with demonstrated commitment to the highest standards of ethics and confidentiality
- Excellent project management skills and attention to detail.
- Have at least 5+ years of work experience in communications (agency and/or in-house experience)
- Have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited institution
- Be based at the Schmidt Futures offices in New York and be able to travel within the U.S. and internationally on a regular basis as needed following company policy and permitting circumstances.
About Schmidt Futures
Futures Action Network, LLC, which operates Schmidt Futures, is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.