One of Schmidt Futures’ key goals is to create the largest and most persistent network of exceptional talent globally and match it to opportunities to serve others for life.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Data Science, the Manager, Talent Engineering will be responsible for designing and building software products to help discover and match the world’s most talented people at scale. The Manager, Talent Engineering’s role will include:
- Overseeing the design and development of software to measure candidate qualities
- Working across teams to determine and respond to software needs, with a particular focus on software solutions that could be assessed and scaled across the company’s talent programs
- Instrumenting our back-end data systems to observe the career progress of talented individuals in our programs and network
- Building software that matches talent to resources to maximize social impact
- Partnering with teams across the company on issues of technical and programmatic importance
- Architect and build Schmidt Futures’ core talent engineering infrastructure to be customized across specific programs.
- Instrument pilot program to discover entrepreneurial talent, including designing and developing a back-end peer review assignment system
- Design and build outcomes tracking protocols to help turn “unsupervised” talent discovery problem into a “supervised” one.
- Build selector-facing tools to allow those running talent programs to visualize trade-offs in cohort composition from different candidate scoring methodologies
- Advise the organization on key architectural and buy/build decisions with regards to further development of talent technologies
Operational and Strategic Planning:
- Use software experience to anticipate unmet needs across teams
- Pitch and build independent projects that find talent in new and innovative ways
- Leverage software to improve equity in sourcing and extend Schmidt Futures’ talent database
- Codify lessons for use by subsequent teams and future programs
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Some of the desired capabilities include:
- Data modeling and implementation of a schema in a relational database
- Building data pipelines between alternate data sources to populate database
- Rapidly developing front-ends to surface insights and trade-offs to stakeholders
- Hosting and deploying simple web services
- Developing REST APIs
- Familiarity with modern machine learning paradigms, and especially NLP methods
- Creativity and design skills
- Have 5+ years’ experience as a software engineer
- Have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent from an accredited institution
- Be based at the Schmidt Futures offices in New York and be able to travel within the U.S. and internationally on a regular basis as needed following company policy and permitting circumstances.
About Schmidt Futures
Schmidt Futures is a philanthropic initiative, founded by Eric and Wendy Schmidt, that finds exceptional people and helps them do more for others together. We knit talent into networks, bet on the most promising ideas through diverse forms of competition and support, and equip people to scale through partners and modern tools. To realize this vision, Schmidt Futures uses a broad set of tools — including gifts, grants, investments, and startup activity — for charitable, educational, and commercial efforts with a public purpose. Our initiative brings together the efforts of various charitable and non-charitable entities to improve our potential impact by making diverse types of capital available to the efforts we support.
Futures Action Network, LLC, which operates Schmidt Futures, is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.