The talent ventures portfolio aims to build knowledge and improve the shared success of society by deploying interdisciplinary networks of talent to solve hard problems right now using advanced computing and other tools. Our method to help brilliant people in networks to solve problems and build knowledge by connecting across fields, competing and challenging ideas, bringing multiple types of capital to bear, and applying science and technology thoughtfully through tools such as AI.
We are seeking a Manager, Talent Ventures, who will work closely with the Talent Ventures leadership team on strategy development and implementation and scaling the overall approach of the portfolio. One initial focus area will be on building and implementing an end-to-end process for preparing gifts, grants, and investments for approval consistent with program, portfolio, and organizational strategy. Other focus areas will include overall portfolio strategy and investigating new opportunities for our support.
Gifts, Grants, and Investment Analysis and Evaluation
- Identify best practices from other organizations
- Build an end-to-end process for preparing gifts, grants, and investments for approval consistent with program, portfolio, and organizational strategy, such as sourcing strategy, evaluation criteria, investment decisions, grantee support, and impact evaluation
- Work directly with our Program Leaders to implement this process, including direct coaching, capability building, redesigning processes and playbooks, etc.
- Analyze the impact of our work against our organizational and program goals in collaboration with our program leaders and the strategy function
- Support teams in managing existing programs in Talent Ventures
- Generate and explore new programmatic ideas for our support
- Assist with strategic program design and execution on programs with iterative improvement implementation
- Supervise people with a positive impact in end-to-end professional development
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Some of the desired capabilities include:
- Proven experience in convening networks and using an interdisciplinary approach to solve systemic problems;
- Exceptional critical thinking ability and creativity in new idea generation;
- Project management skills, including capabilities to manage complex stakeholders and ensure effective implementation;
- Demonstrated teamwork ability and record of impact in high-intensity, team-based environments;
- Exceptional problem-solving skills for conceptual and analytical problems;
- Ability to coordinate efforts across multiple stakeholders;
- Values-based, collaborative working style with a demonstrated commitment to the highest standards of ethics and confidentiality;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Creative, outside of the box thinker who comes up with new, better ways to achieve goals.
- Have 4+ years of work experience in foundations and / or philanthropy;
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree and ideally a Master’s degree (MPA and/or MBA);
- Have practical and/or educational experience in end to end program and/or grant management;
- Be based in the Schmidt Futures offices in New York
About Schmidt Futures
Schmidt Futures is a philanthropic initiative, founded by Eric and Wendy Schmidt, that finds exceptional people and helps them do more for others together. We knit talent into networks, bet on the most promising ideas through diverse forms of competition and support, and equip people to scale through partners and modern tools. To realize this vision, Schmidt Futures uses a broad set of tools — including gifts, grants, investments, and startup activity — for charitable, educational, and commercial efforts with a public purpose. Our initiative brings together the efforts of various charitable and non-charitable entities to improve our potential impact by making diverse types of capital available to the efforts we support.
Futures Action Network, LLC, which operates Schmidt Futures, is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.