Managers work directly with the Schmidt Futures leadership team to design, develop, and launch new programs and to manage partnerships, and/or gifts, grants, and investments in support of the major portfolios. Managers also help with the strategy, operations, and administration of the organization, including through people management, process management, and other collateral duties needed to continue to grow our organization and expand our impact.
Program Development and Management
- Generate new ideas – both personally and through a pipeline of other experts and partners – for current and future programs that would have high societal impact by supporting exceptional people and empowering them through the use of technology;
- Lead the development and implementation of new program areas to solve societal challenges;
- Manage existing programs within the major portfolios in order to ensure our desired outcomes; and
- Build an evidence-based strategy for evaluating existing and future programs using metrics and industry best practices.
Gift/Grant/Investment Analysis and Evaluation
- Review gifts/grants/investments in development or underway to identify opportunities to improve their execution and impact;
- Recommend strategies, methods, partnerships, and other resources that beneficiaries could use to strengthen their work and its impact;
- Analyze the impact of work completed against our organizational and program goals; and
- Build a network of experts to help source and validate new grant proposals.
Strategic and Operational Planning Support
- Participate in strategic and operational planning for Schmidt Futures; and
- Recommend potential strategies, methods, partnerships, and other resources that Schmidt Futures or beneficiaries could use to strengthen their work and its impact.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Some of the desired capabilities include:
- Proven excellence in leadership and management positions;
- Exceptional critical thinking ability and creativity in new idea generation;
- Project management skills, including capabilities to drive efforts independently, and ensure effective implementation;
- Demonstrated teamwork ability and record of impact in high-intensity, team-based environments;
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, for both conceptual and analytical problems;
- Values-based, collaborative working style with a demonstrated commitment to the highest standards of ethics and confidentiality; and
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Have 7-12 years of work experience in business, government, philanthropy, or the military
- Be familiar with relevant subject areas for Schmidt Futures’ work (e.g., science, technology, entrepreneurship, economics)
- Be based in the Schmidt Futures offices in New York and be able to travel within the U.S. and internationally on a regular basis as needed