Use your product management talents to help solve the problems that matter most. Schmidt Futures bets on smart, talented visionaries and teams working on the world’s most pressing challenges. As a Product Manager, you’ll help turn these discoveries, innovations, and ideas into products that benefit society.
PMs work with leaders of innovative social impact organizations that Schmidt Futures supports. You’ll spend two years (9-12 months with each organization) helping to define a vision, ship a great product, and set up a team for ongoing ownership. Each one of these organizations are poised for large impact, but are held back by challenges that a strong product team could address. As one of the first PMs at Schmidt Futures, you will also help define the role right from the beginning — as well as start a broader community of product managers in public interest tech.
Every day will be different. Some days may be spent meeting with government leaders to better understand a problem space. Others, hashing out goals and a roadmap with the team. As the product lead, you’ll own and drive the project forward, using your creativity, flexibility, and problem solving. You’ll sit with the Schmidt Futures team and work within an organization, so community and collaboration will be a daily occurrence.
While you’ll work with a range of organizations, you’ll have enough time and focus with each to become an expert — and part of their team. You might help an organization that has delivered more than $7 billion in food stamps and healthcare benefits to use technology to reinvent their approach of using snail mail and phone centers. Or you might help scientists at Caltech to investigate use-cases and commercialize a new climate model. While the projects will vary, you’ll work at the intersection of technology and social impact.
The Schmidt Futures team is a dedicated group bringing to bear new and creative ideas about how to tackle society’s long-standing challenges. We approach those challenges with humility and open-mindedness, but are eager to try out new ideas through experimentation and prototype testing. While we value data and expertise, we’re comfortable making informed bets to move fast and navigate ambiguous or urgent decisions. People, ideas, and collaboration trump hierarchy, process, and dogma. And while we have a variety of backgrounds and experiences, we’re all passionate about the impact that our work can have to improve the world.
- Experienced. Years as a product manager (or similar role) starting, managing, and shipping products through their full lifecycle.
- Creative and entrepreneurial. Brings a fresh perspective and celebrates new, better ideas.
- Flexible problem solver. Able to work through ambiguity to take on and solve challenges.
- Leader. Attracts technical talent to build and organize high-functioning, happy teams.
- Biased toward action and impact. Gets things done, with a track record of successful landings.
- Owner. Eager to do whatever needs to be done to get a product out into the world, forging trust with founders and longtime teammates through humility and hard work.
- User-focused. Gets to know the user like they would a member of their own family.
- Curious. Excited to learn. Is able to get up to speed quickly and go deep on new topics.
- Technical. Ability to thrive in a technical or scientific environment with strong communication and understanding of technical concepts and scientific principles.
- Coach. Partners with and mentors Associate Product Managers, building a PM community.
- Influence. Guides and motivates others, including world-class scientists and executives.
- Two-year rotation with the potential to extend with Schmidt Futures or partner organizations.
- Target start date: January 27, 2021 or sooner.
- Applications will be accepted through November 1, 2020.
- Full-time and based in the Schmidt Futures offices in New York, NY.
- Competitive benefits and compensation, commensurate with experience.
- Regular travel within the U.S. and internationally as needed following company policy and permitting circumstances.