The Manager, Program Evaluation, will work directly with the Schmidt Futures leadership team to design, develop, and implement appropriate assessment and reporting methods and systems on the effectiveness of Schmidt Futures’ programs, partnerships, and/or gifts, grants, and investments. The Manager, Program Evaluation, will also help with verification of beneficiary and partner-provided information (e.g., outcomes, ability to raise promised matching funds), recommend ways to change approaches up front in order to improve outcomes later on, and prepare relevant communications accordingly.
- Codify and prioritize information from beneficiaries or other parties (e.g., partners) that require verification, such as tasks performed, budget changes, or availability of matching funds
- Design, develop, and implement systems to ensure that Schmidt Futures can verify the highest-priority information from these sources quickly, efficiently, and effectively
- Track beneficiary and partner communications with a focus on publications, other multimedia products, sponsorship endorsements, with reference to Schmidt Futures and/or the founders or team membersWork collaboratively to design better requests of other parties as well as better systems and approaches within those parties to improve our ability to verify high-priority information well
- Maintain long-term information to assess ultimate impact of our work over time
- Communicate results to Schmidt Futures leaders and other team members.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Design, perform, and/or commission independent research to help verify outcomes of Schmidt Futures’ programs and/or individual gifts, grants, and investments
- Ensure we have a current view on grant flow, supporting documents, receipt and disbursement of funds, and facts required for decision on upcoming renewals or related contributions
- Identify opportunities to improve the work based on an understanding of current trends and/or lessons learned from others’ work
- Recommend approaches to make data collection on outcome easier and better so as to facilitate more productive monitoring and evaluation
- Assist in development and production of Schmidt Futures annual and quarterly reports by providing objective analysis of programs and/or individual gifts, grants, and investments
- Interact with staff at foundations with dedicated M&E staff (e.g., Moore, Wellcome Trust) to learn from their experiences.
Planning Input and Support
- Prepare and communicate recommendations for how to improve program content or operating processes so as to facilitate better delivery of outcomes, better ability to verify, and better use of time for all parties
- Assist in the development of advisory group meetings as well as relevant outside networks to help with independent input, monitoring, and evaluation on a regular basis
- Support the broader Schmidt Futures in preparing relevant content for review meetings, ensuring that all contributors are prepared with high quality and on time, and capturing lessons learned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Some of the desired capabilities include:
- Demonstrated experience leading monitoring, evaluation, and verification efforts in high-impact organizations
- Project management skills, including capabilities to drive efforts independently, and ensure effective implementation
- Ability to coordinate efforts across multiple stakeholders
- Demonstrated leadership ability and record of impact in high-intensity, team-based environments with people of a range of working styles
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, for both conceptual and analytical problems
- Values-based, collaborative working style with demonstrated commitment to the highest standards of ethics and confidentiality
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with reasonable ability to use common software tools for word processing, presentation, and spreadsheets (especially Google Docs and Sheets).
The Manager, Program Evaluation, will:
- Have at least five years of work experience in business, government, philanthropy, or the military
- Be familiar with relevant subject areas for Schmidt Futures’ work (e.g., science, technology, economics)
- Be based in the Schmidt Futures offices in New York and be able to travel within the U.S. and internationally on a regular basis as needed