Schmidt Futures is looking to renew its portfolio focused on shared prosperity. We live in a time of incredible scientific progress and growing material abundance. However, it has not gotten better for everyone. Too many Americans today are excluded from the economic growth of the past three decades, reducing overall competitiveness and shrinking the middle class. The income disparity between people has grown, due to limited mobility, wage stagnation, and increasing inequality. We believe we can rebuild and strengthen tomorrow’s middle class — and help many more people to enter the digital economy and enjoy the potential benefits of technological progress. Historically, our efforts have focused on helping more people to become better educated and secure higher-paying jobs, such as through our Learning Engineering and Alliance for the American Dream efforts. We now look to renew our commitment to these and other approaches to strengthen and expand the American middle class. The Senior Fellow will provide thought leadership, expertise, and management skills to shape and lead our portfolio to make a meaningful impact in this space.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President of Talent Ventures, the Senior Fellow overseeing our efforts will have the following primary responsibilities:
- Lead the development of a multi-year vision of which efforts Schmidt Futures should create or support to increase shared prosperity in the US
- Drive Schmidt Futures’ thought leadership on shared prosperity related topics
- Mobilize and motivate a broader network of talented people to advise on critical aspects of this portfolio
- Advise Schmidt Futures team members on problems relating to shared prosperity
- Evaluate the feasibility of new programs and individual gifts, grants, or investments related to the shared prosperity, and weigh the tradeoffs of potential alternative approaches
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of existing programs and individual gifts, grants, or investments related to shared prosperity
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
Some of the desired capabilities include:
- Exceptional experience at the highest levels in driving shared prosperity across the United States (e.g., connecting people to higher-paying jobs, removing barriers that keep people out of the labor market, technological innovation to improve prosperity, innovation in job training/hiring) and across many different types of stakeholders (e.g., local, state, or federal government; academia; think tanks; philanthropic organizations; non-profits)
- Ability to attract, organize, and motivate top talent toward solving problems in the space
- Outstanding track record of managing large, world-class teams focused on shared prosperity research/policy / practical application
- Thought leadership on topics related to shared prosperity
- Demonstrated ability to develop and spot new, innovative ideas and bring them into existence
- Deep and current knowledge of new innovations in workforce development, training, etc.
- Ability to architect system-level solutions
- Passion for creating shared prosperity for all
- Values-based, collaborative working style with a demonstrated commitment to the highest standards of ethics and confidentiality
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to work well in a team
The Senior Fellow will:
- Have 15+ years experience in shared prosperity related roles across government, nonprofit, philanthropy and/or academia
- Have a track record of identifying innovative solutions and bringing them into existence
- Have a strong existing network of stakeholders and ideas to bring to enhance our efforts immediately
- Have a bachelor’s degree in Economics or equivalent from an accredited institution
- Track record of strong management and mentoring skills
- Be based in New York or Washington, D.C., and be able to travel within the U.S. and internationally on a regular basis as needed following company policy and permitting circumstances.
About Schmidt Futures
Schmidt Futures is a philanthropic initiative, founded by Eric and Wendy Schmidt, that finds exceptional people and helps them do more for others together. We knit talent into networks, bet on the most promising ideas through diverse forms of competition and support, and equip people to scale through partners and modern tools. To realize this vision, Schmidt Futures uses a broad set of tools — including gifts, grants, investments, and startup activity — for charitable, educational, and commercial efforts with a public purpose. Our initiative brings together the efforts of various charitable and non-charitable entities to improve our potential impact by making diverse types of capital available to the efforts we support.
Futures Action Network, LLC, which operates Schmidt Futures, is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.