The Associate, Strategy position works directly with the Head of Strategy and members of the Schmidt Futures Strategy team to perform research and analysis relevant to:
- Development of new programs or individual gifts, grants, or investments
- Monitoring and evaluation of existing programs and individual gifts, grants, or investments either underway or completed
- Development of Schmidt Futures’ planning efforts for strategy, budget, impact-evaluation and organizational design.
Program and Gift/Grant/Investment Development
- Conduct research and analysis designed to outline potential opportunities for impact, understand relative effectiveness of alternative models, and quantify likely results of programs overall and/or individual gifts, grants, or investments
- Perform landscape analyses to identify potential opportunities for partnership as well as lessons learned from existing efforts in the field
- Suggest ways Schmidt Futures can deepen its capabilities to take risks and and crowd-in capital for early, innovative ideas
- Lead knowledge management efforts for research and analysis performed – communicating results to team members and codifying results for future use and/or revision.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Working closely with others on the team, perform independent research to help verify outcomes of Schmidt Futures’ programs and/or individual gifts, grants, or investments
- Work with the Head of Strategy to design and conduct an annual grant and investment review using statistical analysis and impact metrics
- Identify opportunities to improve the risk-taking capabilities and investment due diligence based on findings from annual portfolio review
- Recommend approaches to make data collection on outcome easier and better so as to facilitate more productive monitoring and evaluation.
Strategic and Operational Planning Support
- Work with Strategy Team to conduct benchmarking and quarterly and annual OKR-setting to facilitate more effective planning for Schmidt Futures’ strategy and organizational development
- Work with Head of Strategy to prepare, conduct, and lead Quarterly Business Review; this will work might entail preparing OKR documents for business review, working with program managers to gather KPIs, and serving as an emcee for meeting agenda
- Identify important issues to be resolved through organizational planning processes, and propose alternatives based on research of potential scale and scope on criteria to be defined
- Prepare relevant communications for organizational leadership and/or outside partners.
Some of the desired capabilities include:
- Demonstrated analytical skills, including quantitative modeling, data and statistical analysis
- Familiarity with business planning, OKR and KPI development, and impact evaluation
- Project management skills, including capabilities to drive efforts independently, and ensure effective implementation
- Ability to coordinate efforts across multiple stakeholders
- Demonstrated leadership ability and record of impact in high-intensity, team-based environmentsExceptional problem-solving skills, for both conceptual and analytical problems
- Values-based, collaborative working style with demonstrated commitment to the highest standards of ethics and confidentiality
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with experience presenting at management and governance meetings.
- Ability to use software tools for word processing, presentation, and spreadsheets (especially Google Docs and Sheets), with particular experience using slide-decks for business planning and management updates
- Have 3-5 years of work experience in business, government, philanthropy, or the military
- Have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- Be based in the Schmidt Futures offices in New York and be able to support onsite operations in the office on a regular basis as needed following company policy and permitting circumstances.
About Schmidt Futures
Schmidt Futures is a philanthropic initiative, founded by Eric and Wendy Schmidt, that finds exceptional people and helps them do more for others together. We knit talent into networks, bet on the most promising ideas through diverse forms of competition and support, and equip people to scale through partners and modern tools. To realize this vision, Schmidt Futures uses a broad set of tools — including gifts, grants, investments, and startup activity — for charitable, educational, and commercial efforts with a public purpose. Our initiative brings together the efforts of various charitable and non-charitable entities to improve our potential impact by making diverse types of capital available to the efforts we support.
Futures Action Network, LLC, which operates Schmidt Futures, is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.